ON THIS PAGE: Introdution to 2023 World Mayor | List of universal qualities | About & contact
ON OTHER PAGES: Front page | About World Mayor 2023 | The 2023 Longlist | World Mayor History | Nomination form | World Mayor Sculpture | Code of Ethics | Universal qualities of mayors | Press & Media
QUALITIES OF MAYORS
of excellent mayors
In 2023, the City Mayors Foundation will award the World Mayor Friendship Prize to a mayor and city that have made outstanding contributions to friendship, partnership and cooperation between towns and cities at home and across borders.
Cities acting on their own can be beacons of excellence. But when cities work together, learn from each other, share resources, exchange ideas and, above all, encourage their citizens to meet and form friendships, they can truly become a force for good. In all parts of the world, many towns and cities, irrespective of their size, have developed unique solutions to meet social, economic and environmental challenges. Often, these solutions are worth sharing.
At a time of strife, conflict and war between nations, cities, when joining forces, can become peacemakers. The 2023 World Mayor Project will feature mayors who promote peace and prosperity through friendship between cities.
By awarding the Friendship Prize, the 2023 World Mayor Project also aims to encourage acts of generosity and kindness towards less fortunate towns and cities, including towards those affected by conflicts and natural disasters. The 2023 Project will honour mayors from wealthy cities who share resources and expertise with poorer and left-behind communities in their own countries or overseas.
We invite individuals and organisations to take part in World Mayor 2023.
of excellent mayors
• Competence in managing the day-to-day affairs of their communities
• Acumen of financial, business and economic affairs
• Honesty and integrity in decision-making
• Repugnance for using the office of mayor for self-enrichment
• Fairness in dealing with the varied needs and concerns of citizens
• Ability and ambition to be a mayor for all citizens, irrespective of their cultural, racial or social backgrounds and political beliefs
• Passion for fostering tolerance and amity among different communities
• Belief in working together with other cities, nationally and internationally
• Vision for a city that provides future generations of citizens with prosperity, safety and happiness
• Conviction that protecting and enhancing the environment is not optional but an absolute must
• Caring for disadvantaged groups of citizens
• Agreement to the City Mayors’ Code of Ethics
© Copyright: All content of the City Mayors and World Mayor websites are protected by worldwide copyright. Please contact us if you wish to use any material from the City Mayors, World Mayor or Women Mayors websites.